Thursday, November 11, 2010

Campaigning

The other day my brother and I were out getting some photographs. We were just about done, but before going back inside, we spotted these two (though there was a third) deer off in the distance.


You can't see them very well, for they were pretty far in the distance; but we saw them and they saw us. Immediately Tyler and I began to strategize. Prior to this campaign, I would have considered that Tyler and I were pretty reasonable strategists. We've had some practice in military tactics, but this was something else.

The video below demonstrates what happened. My brother and I split up to attempted to flank the deer. If the deer saw one of us, they (ideally) would run toward the other. We figured that the chances were favorable that at least one of us would be able to photograph them up close.


We were wrong. We flanked them, and I closed in, but then they started moving. So I tried to get around them and push them back to Tyler--but he had come up to my side! And the deer were gone. We had no idea where they went. They simply disappeared. We plunged into where we had seen them with our final hopes, but to no avail. They were gone.

The below video demonstrates what we think happened.



So much for military genius, huh. Don't guess I've got a future with the army (which I'm sure is just fine with Mom!) Still, I was astounded by the simple intelligence of these deer. They stayed put when they saw themselves being flanked, then backtracked and somehow escaped unnoticed. They acted upon observation rather than reason, which turned to their benefit.

It is truly amazing, the intelligent mind God built into these deer. By simple cunning they outwitted our attempts to outwit them.  God is such a creative Designer! He gave these beautiful animals such a defensive capacity. He knew they would be hunted, by animals and by men, and therefore engineered instincts of survival within them. No, they don't always succeed. But so far they have managed to evade me! Incredible creatures are deer. One day I'll actually get a good picture of one. But I'm going to have to get smarter!
Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and how inscrutable his ways! "For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been His counselor?" "Or who has given a gift to Him that He might be repaid?" For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be glory forever. Amen. (Romans 11:33-36)

5 comments:

Tyler van der Hoeven said...

Outwitted by deer! Never have I had so much fun loosing!

Zachary J Pruett said...

I have chased many a deer also to no avail. Although I do have an epic tale of losing contact with a pair of deer twice and still finding them later, but never getting closer than 50 ft.

Anyway, thanks for the graphics they were great.

Unknown said...

That's a neat story. I'd love to hear it in greater detail! My brother and I call it "hunting with canons." Most people hunt deer with rifles, shotguns, and bows. We hunt them with canons :) It's a little trickier though, as you have to get so much closer.

Hannah said...

Ha haaaaa!! This made me smile. I hope our deer are all still alive. There have been a ton of gunshots nearby lately.

Unknown said...

Actually I've seen the newly-constructed hunting tree stand. It's in the woods across from the Arnett's field. Makes me feel a little nervous, having hunters that close. If they're not careful, they could hurt someone. Gulp!