Monday, November 23, 2009

What is Black and Yellow with Red Eyes?

Any ideas as to what this is? Pretty tough huh. You can see the black and yellow though, and you have a few hints as to what it is. But unless you're really smart, you won't get it yet. But you should know that it is something between a dragon or a dinosaur and a lizard. I think the next picture will clear some things up. Or will it?

Now it's pretty clear. It's a dinosaur. Right? Hmm... My brother Tyler and I were out in the woods when we came across this beast. It was a cloudy, wet day, in the middle of fall. The fall colors weren't particularly spectacular yet, but many of them had come down. To get really specific, it was October 22, 2009 when we ran into this wet-loving monster. Though not particularly speedy, he made up for it with his ferocious looks. You might think that we would have been too terrified to take pictures, but surprisingly we were not afraid, only a bit surprised. As we got closer I took several pictures. Now I think you'll understand what it is:


It was just an especially evil-looking Box Turtle. Actually, in real life he didn't even look particularly evil, just very brightly colored. I just took the pictures in a way that made him look mean, but he really seemed pretty friendly for a turtle. Usually Box Turtles are mostly black with a little bit of yellow. But this one was not that way! He had a lot more yellow than most of them do. I really like the little patterns on his shell. They look just like little yellow hand prints or something. He was really quite a spectacular looking little guy. I enjoyed seeing and photographing him. It's especially nice photographing turtles because they're too slow to run away! So while he was stuck there, I just had to take a picture that portrayed him as a nice turtle rather than a mean one. Smile, Mr. Turtle!

4 comments:

audrey said...

I was convinced that it was a bird! It looks pretty fearsome! How often do you see these??

YOU say it's smiling!! WE have to believe you!

Good on you!

ajb

Unknown said...

Actually, we don't see them that often. I wouldn't say they're rare or anything, we just don't seem them very much. They aren't very big, only about 8 inches (20 cm) long or so. Pretty neat little guys.

vdhkids said...

I think his hands (do turtles have hands? paws? flippers?) are particularly neat looking in that last picture. They look too big for him or something. Great photos though...that red eye is something!!!

vdhkids said...

His nose is pretty funny looking too....
I love the creativity of God!!!!!!!!