Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Wide Angle

A few months ago I bought a wide-angle lens for my camera. A wide angle lens has the ability of bringing in a wider angle of light to the camera. It makes my pictures able to contain more of what is really there than I can get without it. To illustrate, if I was taking a picture of the tree below without a wide angle lens, I would only be able to get 1/5 or even 1/6 of the image below.


I ought to note that these images are not only wide-angle, but also panoramic, which means that they are many images "stitched" together. I take several pictures and then put them into a computer program that "sews" them together, making almost a picture "quilt" where all of the images line up perfectly. The picture above was probably about 5 images stitched together, and the one below was probably between 15 and 20.


The reason I got the wide-angle lens was so that I could photograph more of God's creation. So many times when I am photographing something, especially in nature, the scope of beauty is much greater than my normal lens can capture in one picture. With a wide-angle and/or panoramic method, I am able to increase the scope of beauty I can contain in one picture. The picture below is a perfect example. It is one of my favorites right now, and it would have been totally impossible without a wide-angle lens and panoramic technology.


The concept of a wide-angle lens illustrates a spiritual truth, I think. Like panoramas and wide-angle images, the goal is to make visible more beauty than is naturally visible.


The concept applies to a Christian's endeavor to know God. God is infinite, and "surpasses knowledge" (Ephesians 3:19). However, that should not deter Christians from seeking to know more of Him. Just because we will never know Him fully doesn't mean we will never know Him more. We need to expand, or widen our knowledge of God in order to see more of His majestic beauty.


How do you do that? One major necessity is time. For Christians, simple time will result in a greater knowledge of God. Experiencing life with God will inevitably lead to a greater knowledge of Him. But perhaps the most significant, joyful, and exciting way to widen our knowledge of God is to study Him in His Word. "But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord" (Philippians 3:7-8). There is nothing in the world that could be more important than knowing Christ. In fact, if you compare anything with the worth of knowing Him, they fade into mere garbage!


We need to learn to expand our spiritual "lenses" with a wider angle, that we me see and know more of our unfathomable God. It is so worth the effort!

4 comments:

Tyler van der Hoeven said...

Agreed. Great stuff Sam, lots of green trees and blue skies. Very nice.

His Proverbs31 Sparrow said...

I love where you said:

"There is nothing in the world that could be more important than knowing Christ. In fact, if you compare anything with the worth of knowing Him, they fade into mere garbage!"

Amen to that! Reminds me of Keith Green's song, I Can't Wait to Get to Heaven, where he says:

"But I know that Jesus Christ has been preparing a home for me and for some of you, for two thousand years. And if the world took six days and that home two thousand years, hey man, this is like living in a garbage can compared to what's going on up there."

Anything is for sure a garbage can, compared to our precious Lord & Saviour.

Btw, I just have to ask, :), what program sews different pictures together?? Sounds like something I would enjoy immensely.

P.S. Your snapshots are breathtaking Sam...they truly capture the essence of the beauty of God's world. I never cease to be awed how magnificient all of God's creations are...He is definitely the master artist!

Unknown said...

Thanks Mrs. Kerr! Actually, I thought of you in particular when I described the panoramic stitching in terms of quilting :) The program is called "Autostitch," and can be downloaded at http://cvlab.epfl.ch/~brown/autostitch/autostitch.html. It is REALLY easy to use, and seems to do a very good job. Using a tripod really helps, but it isn't necessary. Let me know how it works for you if you should try it!

His Proverbs31 Sparrow said...

Heehee...that's too funny...thanks for thinking of me in terms of quilting...anything in terms of quilting, embroidery, sewing sounds appealing to me! :):)

And thanks for the info...I've d/led it just a bit ago...will have to try it out!