Monday, August 30, 2010

Hummingbirds

It was a beautiful, blue-sky morning, and I went outside to get some pictures. But I never got any pictures of the sky, for I never even made it off of our front porch! I got caught taking pictures of these tiny little hummingbirds who had come to visit our feeders.

They were absolutely adorable, and there were really quite a few of them.

What I found the funniest about them was their self-importance. There was one in particular who seemed to consider that he was the greatest of all hummingbirds, and that all the feeders were therefore his. He defended that assumption as well! He was a vicious attacker of all hummingbirds who dared to enter his domain.

They all seemed just a little bit arrogant. They all wanted to be the big shot. They each seemed to consider themselves the biggest and the best. I watched one fly up to a branch where he just sat down and puffed himself up, looking so proud. Very cute, but he was just so small! It was so funny to see that tiny little guy apparently feeling so big and brave.

Yet I got to thinking how very much I can be like that. I am so tiny and puny, yet how easily I can puff myself up in my own eyes. I am often tempted to think MUCH more of myself than my size and status merit, and ultimately I only end up looking silly. It is not glorious "to seek one's own glory" (Proverbs 25:27). 

Let's not worry about seeking our own glory. Let's worry more about doing all to the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31).

1 comment:

vdhkids said...

I love these pictures, Sam, and the message that goes with it as well. Great reminder....when I am sitting on the porch watching them "fight".