Friday, January 22, 2010

Unusual Suns

I have so many sunset/sunrise pictures, it's hard to categorize them. Yet the category in this post, "Unusual Suns", isn't too big, but still has some pretty neat pictures.

The picture below is one of my favorite "unusual sun" photographs. As the sun was rising that morning, there was a layer of clouds making it appear that there was only half of a sun. Therefore I titled it "The Half Sun".


This next picture is one that I got from the field, looking west as the sun neared its setting. The sky was either thinly cloudy or thickly hazy, I'm not sure which, but the sun was shining through it, so I titled this picture "Hazy Sun".

This picture, which I titled "Big Sun", was also taken from the field at sunset. As it neared the horizon, something about the clouds or the atmosphere caused it to look unnaturally large. Not like really really big, but bigger than normal.

I actually took this unusual sun picture just the other day. I was out in the woods on a very cloudy day, and looked up to see what looked like a very bright moon. Since I had my camera on hand, I got this picture and named it "Cloudy Sun".
Of all the subjects I have photographed, none surpass the sun in variety and beauty. Though the sun itself is always the same, it never looks the same. The clouds are always different, or the weather, or who knows what. I guess the same often is true of God: though He Himself never changes, He often appears more glorious in different ways because of the different situations in which we view Him.

4 comments:

Tyler van der Hoeven said...

These are nice, my favorite is probably the "moon" sun.

vdhkids said...

I like these too, Sam. Is the rule different about 'not looking at the sun' when you are taking pictures? Just wondering.

Unknown said...

Hee hee. Beats me, but for the most part only my camera looks at the sun. Unless it's dim, around sunrise/sunset, or behind clouds. For most of these it wouldn't have been too bright.

Hannah said...

Ohh..that hazy sun looks like the sun from underwater. :) And are you SURE that's not the moon? It's definitely different. Neat pics!