Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Squirrels

I love squirrels. They're so cute, with their little grey fluffy tails, but they're hard to photograph. They're rather nervous little guys for the most part, so it's tricky to really get pictures of them. But I've gotten a few this year.

This was a baby squirrel I saw earlyer this year, in springtime I believe. There were actually two of them, this one and another one a little lower down the trunk. They were perfectly frozen in their place. They didn't move a muscle. This one just sat there and let me take his picture, and so did the other one, but he wasn't in as cute of a position. Their mother was off in a tree some distance away giving me some nasty warning sounds, so I got a few pictures and then left so they could stop being frozen, but it was pretty fun. Baby squirrels are so cute!

This squirrel was one I got a picture of while I was out in the woods one summer evening. I kept hearing something crashing through the brush and landing with a thud on the ground. I looked up in a tree, and there was this squirrel, running around and picking walnuts, some of which he would drop, and others that he ate. He looks so funny! He's just sitting up there about 20 or 30 feet high, munching a walnut that is the size of his head!

This squirrel was one I saw not to long ago. Actually Dad spotted him first while sitting in his chair in the living room. He called me over and I got some pictures. We have a Bradford Pear tree on one side of the house, and this squirrel was right outside one of the windows eating Bradford Pears! I got a lot of pictures of him, eating little pears and walking on his branch.

This is one of my favorite squirrel pictures of all. We were eating lunch one day, and someone saw our half cat half monkey Elsie up in this great big tree, about 20 feet up. Then someone noticed a squirrel in the tree, and sure enough, there he was. Elsie was doing what she could to catch the squirrel, but she didn't stand a chance. The funny thing was how the squirrel played with her. He didn't run down the tree or up the tree, he just jumped around as though daring Elsie to catch him. She eventually gave up, and climbed down the tree. The squirrel ran up the tree, and that was that, but it was so funny!


1 comment:

Tyler van der Hoeven said...

Man I wish I had been there for that squirrel, Elsie escapade. Cats and squirrels are soooo funny!