Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Spring is Coming

The bitter, biting wind wraps 'round my head,
The icy hand of darkness, gloom, and death.
I find no refuge from the ruthless dread
So sharply borne on winter's barren breath.
Yet as I trudge through forests thick with snow,
Struggling to budge my frozen limbs and head,
A sudden sound, with warm and gentle glow
Breaks through the howl of winter's silent dead.


It speaks a life of hope into the world,
As death begins to know its final doom.
Sweet green begins to bud, and though yet furled,
It gives a glimpse of hope, of ending gloom.
In winter's grasp we struggle to keep going,
But see the sprouts of hope say, “Spring is coming!”

5 comments:

Hannah said...

Really love this, Sam. Though...sure doesn't feel like spring is coming today! But...whether it feels like it or not, spring is a sure thing and winter WILL end. :) Needed that reminder.

Unknown said...

Thanks Hannah! Today is certainly NOT your ideal spring day :) Cold and wet. Yuck. But it IS coming!

Nice new profile picture too :) Did you edit it in GIMP?

vdhkids said...

...winter's silent dead???
gloom????
oh Sam, no.

I get your point, I just don't agree. Winter is not so awful.
Really. It has such beauty all its own...just different from spring, that's all.

Wonderful SNOWY day today....not cold, wet and yuck...Oh son, son, son.....what will I do with you?

And besides, it's not SUPPOSED to be spring yet. Another week and a half of winter, thank you!!

Nice poem. Sort of. ;)

Unknown said...

Oh mother dear, it is DEAD out there! There is nothing green or alive out there. Just death and bleh. But not for long!

Honestly, I thought you might have a word or two about this post :)

Enjoy what will HOPEFULLY be your last day of winter :)

Hannah said...

Ha ha...profile pic...um, so it was pretty much a "lucky" point and shoot with my camera on black and white. I only cropped it on GIMP...which has been an excellent program. I don't use it for a ton of things, but it has everything I need when there's something I have to fix. :)