Friday, October 30, 2009

June 2, 2009 - First Clouds

The evening of June 2, 2009, was an amazing one. There were some MASSIVE clouds just floating around as the sun went down, making for a nature photographer's perfect evening. Later in the day I checked many of the clouds I had photographed on a weather radar, and most of them were heavy rain clouds. But the heavy rain clouds weren't all that I photographed that evening, and in the next five blog posts (including this one), I think that will become clear.

I first went down to the field west of our house where about a month later I got the "Against the Grain" picture. It's hardly ever boring out that way, and these clouds certainly lived up to that statement. I think if you click on the picture you can see a bigger version and see even the sun rays down underneath the clouds.
Next I headed down toward the eastern side of our property where we have a stone wall marking our border line. I only cross this wall ocasionally, but I confess this was one of those occasions. The clouds were huge! It's a shame these pictures can't show it, but this cloud was probably about 20 miles away! Simply massive.

This other cloud is the same one I think, just at a different time, showing just how fast the clouds can change shape. It looks like a giant scoop of ice cream without a cone, just hovering over the hills. It was pretty weird.

It was while taking this picture that I noticed something that led to the second section of the photography tour of 6/2/09.

3 comments:

vdhkids said...

I love these pictures, Sam...especially since we can't see the clouds from the house. Your pictures help me do something I love to do......cloud-watch.
~ Mom

Hannah said...

I really love that second one...there's such a contrast between the cloud and the darkening sky!!!

audrey said...

The gentle gradation of colours in your second photo is so beautiful. 'love it! ajb